Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Death in Syria, Japanese Politicians Fail Again, and the Myth (?) of Energey Conservation

Blame insomnia.  Or, perhaps it's the combination high-temperatures and humidity.  I'm cranky.  For my self-imposed Japanese lessons, my attempt to keep up with current events while adding to my vocabulary, I turn to my "trusted" news source:  TV.  The coverage of the news over the past several days is anything but happy.  Grim, stupid, and disappointing, I struggle to keep from turning it off.

Pick a channel, any channel, the news being reported focuses on the death of Ms. Mika Yamashita, by all accounts an incredible, brave, and well respected journalist who was shot to death in Syria.  Those around her are adamant in saying she was in Syria to cover the plight of women and children.  I keep seeing myself in her.  Not the whole "incredible, brave, well respected" part.  I'm not that arrogant.  That there are other women out there who do things few understand, following a drum beat perhaps only they can hear, that she will no longer do this, that some asshole took her life, I really can't describe the sadness and rage I feel.  What a waste.  What an incredibly stupid, stupid act of violence.

Then there are the politicians and those who feel entitlement in commenting on the acts (or lack thereof) of said politicians--here I'd like to make a suggestion.

The gist is, foreign policy in Japan is in shambles.  It's in shambles because the prime minister and his cabinet are busy fending off those who want a new group in power (again), and because there have been four foreign ministers in three years.  The ever-revolving door of politicians is tiresome.  This, too, is stupid.  I understand the consequences of what I'm saying.  I stand by it.  It's not rocket science.  With new people at the top every year or so (sixteen prime ministers in 23 years) how can they possibly be effective?

Here's my suggestion.  Stick it out, folks.  People want your head?  Say you won't go.  No more "I take responsibility, and I'll resign."  No.  Show some umph.  Show the country and the rest of the world you have the courage to fend off criticism.  Fight.  I mean it.  Fight.

Because, and here's a biggie, mothers are taking their children to protest Japan's nuclear energy policy, standing outside the Prime Minister's residence in the heat.  The Japanese are taking to the streets.  There are real protests, perhaps unlike anything seen here since students made noise about the Viet Nam War right around the time I was born.  These protests are a big deal.  I've stayed away from the nuclear issue, especially as it pertains to Fukushima, as it's a highly emotional topic for both sides, pro-, and anti. 

But, I will say this.  After the Fukushima Plants went down last year everyone in Tokyo was bombarded with daily reminders to conserve energy. (Tokyo got its energy from these Fukushima Plants.)   Trains cut their air conditioning, turned off lights, and used fans to circulate air.  Not well, mind you.  Department stores used giant fans.  All we could get was sort of cool, very stale air.  I can't think of anywhere I could go last summer to experience real air conditioning.

Not so this year.  Some buildings are almost cold.  Trains and subways are back blowing cold air, most welcome.  Air conditioning is back.  Which begs the question.  Where is Tokyo getting its energy?  Not Fukushima, of course.  There's energy left to spare?  Since when?  Where's it coming from?  Japan does or does not have an energy crisis?

Between the senseless murder of an otherwise incredible woman half way around the world, politicians who just don't get it, mothers who are teaching their children to speak up, and confusion over whether we get to or don't use this energy that may or may not exist--you can see why summer in Japan makes me a bit cranky.  Let's see if fall changes anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment