Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A New Approach to Letting it Go (Let it Go)

It's been some time since I watched a Disney movie.  With my son now a grown man I've not had the pleasure.  Or need.  Or, frankly, the desire.  But, because I am not one who follows convention but rather my own mind I pick and choose.  While Disney has long ago left the category I search to decide what to watch today, the latest blockbuster has caught my eye.  "Frozen" or "Anna and the Queen of Snow" as it's called in Japan and its theme song has brought me a whole new kind of joy.

"Let it Go" celebrates courage, strength, and fearlessness.  Good stuff, yes.  Surrounded by narcissistic men and others who can only be called misogynists I appreciate the breath of fresh air offered by this song reminding me being a woman is fun.  It's on me to pass along this joy to the girls around me.  I welcome this task.  I will not disappoint.

Back to Disney.  Certainly there's truth to the the fact "Let it Go" in Japan today is significant only because it's a hit song from a hit movie.  It's hipness makes it the new "it" song to sing, but here's where this hit gets interesting.  Girls of all ages are singing.  Dressed in their favorite princess dress, tiara balanced on their heads, trying to stand straight in mama's high heels, girls are singing this song in English.

This is a big deal.  When five-year old girls stand in their living rooms belting out "let it go!" with no shame, no embarrassment, no hesitation this breeds strength and courage.  It's a brave act in Japan for young girls to put themselves out there, especially in rural Tohoku where daughters are still less of a prize than sons.

Try to have a conversation with a girl of any age in rural Japan, the response will not be a strong and clear reply but rather a series of giggles hidden behind the hand.  This attitude "I can't possibly speak English" cloaked as humility actually destroys confidence.  It's code for "if I giggle I will be more appealing than if I'm vocal."  Modest women are more attractive than strong ones.  Knowing our place means we are not bold like Anna.

Which is why it's a big and amazing deal that these girls taught and raised as "the weaker sex" belt out songs in English--a language otherwise "you can't possibly speak" with no fear.  Over the weekend I sang this song repeatedly, I as queen, the girls as princesses.  Never was there any hesitation.  Nowhere did they show a lack of confidence.  Of course they could carry a tune.  Oh, it's in English?  So?  They liked the song, it was popular, end of story.  We would sing.  We did sing.

In a perfect world it wouldn't take a hit Disney song to make these girls want to believe they can speak and sing in English.  In the less than perfect world we live in, I'll take this courage any way it comes.  Sing on, girls.  Let it go.  Really.  Let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment