Monday, August 10, 2015

Two-dimensional marriage (in Japan): It's not what you think

I justify the nights in front of the television because it's simply too damn hot to be outside (true), and I need to stay current on Japanese pop culture (also true).  No, I don't have much to say about Japanese television that falls into the complimentary category.  I make no apologies.  I am, however, relatively up to date on what passes for hip and funny in Japan.  As I said, it's hot in Tokyo.  I'm finding myself in front of television often and for long periods of time.  All for current events and odd comedy.

Which is where I saw it.  A Japanese man dresses in a high school girl's uniform on Sundays and walks the street of Harajuku.  Bald except for his long, flowing white hair complimented by a similar long and flowing white beard (tied with ribbons, no less) he's hard to miss.  Or so the reporter says.

He's quite a sight.  What makes him newsworthy is the legend (of the urban type) people who have their photo taken with this man dressed as a teenage girl receive good luck.  This middle-aged man in cosplay drag is a lucky charm?  Japanese youth swear by him.

Hence his appearance on Japanese television.  This is where it gets interesting because, let's face it, the story up to this point isn't sufficiently ridiculous.  He's asked a series of questions.

"Are you a cross-dresser?"
"Are you doing this to express something in yourself?"
"Would you consider yourself shy?"

Yes, yes, and yes.

Except for the last one.  He says he used to be shy but through this outfit can release his true self.  It is at this point he releases the zinger.  Asked about his wedding ring he shares the fact he married at 27 and divorced at 28.  This was his shy phase.  Is he married?  He smiles.  Yes.  He's in a two-dimensional marriage.

The comedians surrounding him on this particular show are confused.  No one comes out and asks, so he volunteers.  This ring is to signify his marriage to an anime character.  A famous cartoon girl whom I don't recognize but the comedians seem to know.  There's a mixture of gasps and laughter and confusion as to how one goes about marrying an anime character but this is the point I stop listening.  There are limits to my desire to follow trivia and this man crossed a line.

It must be an age thing.  I don't get this marriage-to-a-cartoon-character phenomenon.  How does this work?  Aside from the obvious, of course.  What are the rules and who defines them?  Your partner lives in your laptop and smart phone.  Seriously.  How does this work?

Should we be concerned?  Did people in the 1800s "marry" characters in literature?  Perhaps this isn't new and I'm clueless on romantic fiction?   

This is what I get (evidently) when I hole up indoors and refuse to venture out into the heat.  Now I don't know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment