Monday, December 12, 2011

Ofunato Stories: Part 1

My fifth trip to Ofunato this year showed me a very different town.  Not having a "before" image to compare it to, I can only see the progress made as the city worked to clean up the massive amount of debris left by the tsunami.  The part of the town near the port is now completely cleaned up.  The foundations of houses and buildings remain but the everything else is gone.  The few remaining buildings, those made of concrete and strong enough to withstand the waves are back in business or still being repaired. 

Those I spoke to still speak of the event in March as if it was yesterday.  There is hope for the future, but there is also a profound sense of loss, confusion, frustration, and those who wonder what to do next.

I met with the gang of relief-supply deliverers.  The group is as jovial as usual, teasing each other, making fun of how skinny one is or how fat another is.  I am again humbled by the fact they let me into their tightly-knit bonds of friendship.  I think of them as my adopted cousins, and uncles.  They matter.

We shared stories.  Our hopes for what is to come, their grief over what they lost was mixed with laughter, food, and the prerequisite alcohol.

"Tell me about this Mrs. Claus thing we've heard about," the youngest of the group says.  I grin.
"Well," I begin, "I'll be here again next week.  I have a Mrs. Claus costume that makes me look like a plump grandmother."
"Not one of those skimpy things?" the eldest of the group asks.
"I'm handing out candy to kids, so no.  Not the skimpy-looking thing.  This isn't something I'm doing for middle-aged men, you know."  I grin again.
"I think she just called you 'old'," Kazu-san says.
"I did not!" I object.  Everyone laughs.
"So, Mrs. Claus, candy, kids.  You know where you're going?"
"Kazu-san set things up for me.  I'm going to three day care centers and the orphanage."
They all nod. 
"That's a good thing you're doing," the balding Taro-san says, suddenly serious.
"It's for the kids," I reply.  "I'd do anything to make them laugh.  Even if that means I dress up like a frumpy looking grandmother.  Oh, and I'm going to pretend I don't speak Japanese.  Kazu-san's going to interpret for me.  I figure I might as well try to be the real Mrs. Claus, right?  There's no way she'd speak Japanese."
"Kazu's going to interpret for you?  That won't do," Susumu-san says.
"Hey!"  Kazu-san objects.  "We've got it all worked out.  She's giving me a script."
"You're not going to read from it, right?" Taro-san says and they all laugh again.
"I'll be fine.  Where's the trust?"
"Trust?  Trust you?  We know better."  More laughter.
"I've got it!"  The city council member bangs the table.
"You need Kazu to wear a tux."
"A tux?  No, not a tux.  An elf, maybe."  My dead-pan and totally serious comment is met with cheers.
"What does an elf wear?" Kazu-san asks, not sure he likes this.
"Well, green tights, for one.  A green or red shirt, and shorts or something."  I try to conjure up an elf in my mind as I say this.  Everyone laughs.  Taro-san falls over he's laughing so hard.
"Okay.  If Kazu's going to wear green tights then I'm in, too," the city council member says.
"Really?  What are you going to be?" I ask.
"A reindeer."
Taro-san, now upright says, "I'll be the hind legs.  The butt!"
"Good!  I'll be the front and you be the butt."  With that, the city council officer and Taro-san start planning their costumes.

Enter Kazu-san's younger brother.
"Sorry I'm late!"
"Elf Two!!" Kazu-san yells.
"What?"  Younger brother is clearly confused.
"I'm going to be Amya's interpreter for the Mrs. Claus thing.  You go, too.  I'm Elf One.  You're Elf Two."
"Okaaay," Shige-san agrees very cautiously and then is told about the green costume he has to wear including the green tights.
"Don't elves have those pointy shoes?" he asks.
"Right.  That and a hat.  The hat has to have a bell on the end of it," I say.
"Where am I going to find a hat like that?" Shige-san is not sure he likes being volunteered to wear tights in public.
"You make it, idiot," older brother scolds him.
"Oh."

The rest of the night was spent planning the route, negotiating whether or not I could get a sleigh ("with bells and lights?" I ask), which schools were located on top of a hill ("downhill would be better if we're going to pull you") and adding two high schools to the mix of places we'll visit.

I did not see this coming.  My plan was to go to Ofunato on the 22nd dressed as Mrs. Claus, handing out Christmas candy to kids who've had a very tough year, and hoping to make them smile.  That I'd end up with a sleigh, two reindeer, two elves, and drivers to shuttle us to and from these various facilities, I'm again humbled. 

Be careful what you ask for.  Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment