Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tohoku forgotten?

Granted I've been in Japan less than 48 hours.  Yesterday was a wash.  Walking around town in a daze, I can say now I wasn't taking much in.  Today is different.  I'm in the city again where I'm most comfortable.  My eyes are more focused.  I see things better, clearer.  I'm struck by what's not present.  Ask me again in three weeks, six weeks and I may take this back.  Today, I stand by this.

I've walked through stations.  I've ridden on trains.  I've watched television.  Gone are the posters, signage, shows, reports, news stories discussing what happened in Tohoku in March.  Sitting in front of the television now, I'm watching a report on how children are faring post March 11th.  This is the first time I've seen or heard the words "Tohoku" since arriving in Japan this time. 

What happened?  What changed?  The obvious answer is time.  Donor fatigue sunk in long ago.  The ever present sense of resolve and perseverance seems to have been replaced with apathy, hopelessness, and a lack of interest.  Like other catastrophes, natural and man-made, people get tired of hearing and reading news on the same topic.  I get that.  I understand how the rest of the world has stopped discussing Japan.  But, here, too?  That Japan isn't even reporting on the lives of those in Tohoku, this surprises me.

Then there's this. 



Starbucks has stopped accepting donations for those in the Tohoku prefectures.  The announcement states they stopped collecting money at the end of September, and tells coffee-buyers they donated over 35,000,000 yen to the Japanese Red Cross.  That's no small sum.  But, why stop now?  I don't get it. 

I am incredibly aware of the fact I cannot be a gong ringing on my own, trying to keep peoples' interest focused on Tohoku.  That means I will spend a significant amount of energy over the next several months figuring out how to balance reporting on what I will do in the Tohoku area, and how not to talk about only that.  I will try.  I really will.  Then again, isn't there something wrong with the fact anyone should have to limit the conveyance of facts (especially facts this important) because the rest of the world has a short attention span?

No comments:

Post a Comment