Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bears, Bags, and Shiseido

I blame my low blood pressure.  Having wished forever I could some day be one of these perky people that, upon hearing the (first) alarm of the morning, stretch, yawn, and jump out of bed ready to hit the day, I long ago resigned myself to the fact I will never be that person.  It's easier to hate them. 
To compensate, I learned how to put make up on in the car, saving precious morning minutes for extra sleep.  Even 10 years ago, I showed up at jobs with two minutes to spare (never be late!).  I had my routine down pat.  Comments like, "Wow, those are some amazing suitcases under your eyes" were met with curt retorts on where the man could shove those words.  Sleep always trumped. 

When Alpha Male (my favorite man in Japan) says to me several weeks ago, "You look better without make up" I am stunned.
"When have you ever seen me without make up?"
"The night I took you to the bus stop."
That was over a year ago, the night of my first trip up to Tohoku.  To show him how agreeable I can be, I arrived at one of our recent lunches without make up.  As I hop in his car, he looks over and says, "Did you just wake up?"  I'm immediately pissed.
"No, I did not just wake up.  This is me without make up.  You said you liked it better this way."  I flip down the sun visor, stare at myself in the mirror, and am amazed at the puffy bags of skin below my lids, surrounded by dark patches.  I almost look like I've been punched.  I curse.  There will be no more leaving the apartment without make up.  Period.

He's silent.  I can just hear the pedals going backwards, his mind spinning with how he's going to get out of that comment.  The next lunch?   I show up with make up, and he knows better than to say anything.

More recent comments from others about how "You looked much younger a year ago" have made me, begrudgingly, accept the fact I don't handle stress very well, and I'm yet again showing it on my face.  Having been blessed with good skin genes from a young age, and having equally been "blessed" with low blood pressure, my morning routine has never been much in the way of an extensive beauty routine.  I have it down to a science.  Lotion, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick.  (If it can be done in a car, even better.)

All of which--age, stress, years of not putting more time into my skincare--is now evidently catching up with me.  I have silently apologized to Nora Ephron for all the snide remarks I made about her (presumed) lack of skin maintenance, obviously causing her to write "I Feel Bad About My Neck" all because my neck now, too, needs extra care.  I get it.  Getting old isn't a lot of fun when the aging process shows up prominently in our faces.

Enter my decision to take action.  I march to the Shiseido counter in a major department store in Tokyo, plop myself down in a chair, and promptly "command" the saleswoman to "Do something about these" pointing to the black circles and bags around my eyes.

"Oh, the kuma" she says.  Kuma?  That's bear in Japanese.  I have bears around my eyes?  Suitcases and bags are bad enough.  Now bears?
"Whatever," I think I snapped back.  "Just fix them."  I'm in no mood to expand my vocabulary today.
I know what's coming.  She will bring out every Shiseido product under the sun, promising me they will make my skin "glow" and "look fresh" and the like.  I'm ready to be convinced.  The bears must go.

Thirty minutes later, with a bunch of lotions, creams, powder, and concealer on my skin, I look back at myself in the mirror and ask myself whether I can actually commit to spending time on this routine.  True, the bags are less visible, and the blackness around my eyes is gone.  But, I can feel the crap on my skin.  It feels foreign.  Is it me, or is my skin itching?

The same saleswoman tries to tell me I should use Shiseido cotton to "maximize its effectiveness" and I stare at her with this, "please tell me you're kidding" look and she stops.  I know buying all this will cost me.  I also know the bags or bears (whatever) bother me.  A lot.  I decide to spend the money.

Blame aging, sun damage, and hormones.  Or, blame the less obvious culprit?  I'm obviously stressed.  What good will it do to spend too much on the promise "if you use it properly, you should see results in two months" when I could just do something about my stress level?  Ah, yes.  My stress level.  Right.  Fix that and my skin will once again glow.  Right?

Until I can find the cure for my stress, you're all welcome to invest in Shiseido stock.  I'll be relying on them for awhile.

1 comment:

  1. You do whatever it takes to get you through the day, Amya-chan. :)

    ReplyDelete