Saturday, June 30, 2012

"I'll protect you."

The innocence of babes, of children who do not know the impact their words have, is something we've all likely experienced.  Facebook postings are riddled with the comments our children make, heartwarming, uplifting, genuinely kind, and unprompted.  We're proud parents when we share our children's words.  It's beautiful.  It's love in its purest form.  I firmly believe these acts of kindness bear repeating.  Often is better.

My friend in Ofunato tells me the following story.
"My kids knew here," she taps her head, "something terrible happened last year, but here," now tapping her heart, "is a different story."  I nod. 
"Tell me."
"My store was washed away, right?"  I nod.  We're in her "new" pre-fab store for a reason. 
"The kids, maybe for a month after the tsunami last year, everyday after I'd pick them up from school would say, 'Let's drive past the store.'  They knew it wasn't there.  I don't know why they said this, but for a month, everyday, we'd drive to where the store was.  Maybe it needed to sink in for them, and that took time?  I don't know.  We'd just sit there in the car until they said, 'Okay.  We can go home now.'"
"Wow."  I don't know what else to say.  Wow.
"Then one day, my oldest said, 'We don't need to see where the store used to be, Mama.  We don't need to go there anymore.'"  Again, wow.
"That's when my middle kid said, 'I'll protect you, Mama.  If another tsunami comes, I'll protect you.'"
Wow.
My friend continues, "I asked my daughter, the one who said this, how she was going to protect me from the tsunami, and she says, 'I'll beat it up.'"

My friend and I both laugh but it's the wrong response.  The daughter who said this to her mother was three years old at the time.  The beauty and bravery of this girl's words stung. 
"What did you say to your daughter?" I ask my friend.
"I just cried," she says back, and there, right there, we both lost it.

Pure innocence combined with fierce love is what I had the privilege of hearing about that day.  We need more of this everywhere in the world.

1 comment: