Monday, August 12, 2013

How To Think Outside The Box In Japan

Let's assume.  For today's post, if I write "hypothetically" that means I'm really saying I have to cover for the fact I can't actually repeat whether or not this was an actual statement.  Attorneys do this all the time.  Let's just pretend.  Read between the lines.

Hypothetically speaking let's say a group of local leaders in a town somewhere in Japan wanted to do something nice for their kids.  These kids have had a rough go of it lately.  They need fun in their lives.  How does one define fun?  Where do kids go to have fun?  What epitomizes fun?  The park down in Tokyo where the hero and heroine are rodents.  These men invited said rodents and other similar cloaked-in-furry-costumes types to their town to parade down main street where their kids will surely squeal and tell their children how cool papa was for bringing such an important and happiness-inducing event to their town.  Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Because very little in Japan (especially in the area where these creatures will visit) is simple or easy there were roadblocks.  With each obstacle presented, the men would gather.  After they let out their initial shock and anger at why doing something good is so complicated they would get down and work out a solution.  Each wall was broken down.  Problems resolved and battles won the men felt they could conquer anything.  "Good always wins," I'm told.  "Nothing will stop us."  I hold in my doubt, instead nodding at his confidence and hope he is right.

During a recent meeting with these men who are really trying to do good I ask a follow-up question.
"How are things going with the rats?"
The men instantly begin talking over each other.  Through the buzz I take away the realization there is yet another level of "opportunities" these men must overcome.  This one comes from the group in town responsible for keeping order.  The latest "opportunity" is presented by those who enforce traffic rules, solve crimes, and maintain the peace.

"There's a law that says a moving vehicle can't have people standing in or on it," I'm told.
"So?"  I don't immediately see the problem.
"One of the floats, the one holding the rats will be a big bus.  It's going to drive down the street slowly as the rats wave to the onlookers.  We were told we can't do that.  It breaks the law about people standing on a moving vehicle."
"You've got to be kidding me," I scoff.  "Why are you just now hearing about this?"  Heads nod with a combination of disgust and apathy.  "What are you going to do?" I ask, and then correct myself.  "Why aren't they willing to help you?  I mean, you're trying to do something really amazing.  Why are they making this more difficult?"
"Wait," one of the men stops me holding up his hand to make his point.  "It's not that they're trying to stop us.  They are trying."

What I'm told next is an attempt at the most unusual at out-of-the-box thinking and creative interpretation of rules I've ever heard attempted in Japan.

"The guys in charge of enforcing traffic regulations," my friend starts, "they were trying to figure out how to make this work.  One man from that department said, 'Well, those on the bus ... they're not people.  They're rats.  The laws don't apply to rats,' and another said, 'If we pull the bus instead of turning the engine on then it's not actually a moving vehicle and so the laws don't matter,' and another said, 'If the rats get off the bus every 10 meters or so then we could say the bus isn't actually being driven.'  See.  They're trying to figure out a way around the rules."

I sit back and take this in.  In Japan, those responsible for law and order do not work at finding loopholes, ways of interpreting rules and regulations to suit their needs.  I'm impressed by this out-of-the-box thinking and say as much.  My comment is met with a reply from one of the local leaders tired of these must-bang-head-against-wall-again dilemmas, and spats, "It's great but we can't use any of these ideas.  The big boss won't allow it."  Of course.  We're back to square one.  I decide to offer my version of creative interpretation and add a suggestion.
"These men go to other cities to watch giant floats during summer festivals, right?"  Heads nod in agreement.  "Okay.  Then you can go back to these men, the big boss included and say that they're taking part in breaking traffic rules.  First off, if it's okay for other cities to do this, then it's okay for us here."  The men start talking at once again.  "Wait," I say.  "More important is the fact these traffic-enforcers are going to watch other people break rules.  They know these floats holding people aren't supposed to be driven and they're still there, watching them being driven.  It has to be illegal for those who are to serve and protect to blindly watch others break rules and not intervene.  That they're going to watch these other festivals knowing rules are being broken...that has to be illegal...or something."

The consensus reached by my suggestion to gently pressure the organization that allows their employees to observe laws being broken is, "Too confrontational."  It is, I agree. 

I take away from this report-out there is hope in Japan that at least one city has a town where men in uniform will work at finding ways for giant rats to ride on motorized floats to bring joy to children and adults alike.  The men couldn't tell me how they were going to overcome this latest "opportunity" presented at the last minute, but I find myself hopeful out-of-the-box-thinking is alive and well.  Even in Japan.  I grin.  "They're rats and not people so the rules don't apply."  I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment