Thursday, September 15, 2011

Down the up stair case

I don't ask for much.  Connect me to the existing Wi-Fi spots in town and I'm happy.  I go to the local Softbank store yesterday and am told I need an Alien Registration card in order to purchase a Wi-Fi device.  Fine.  I make my way to the local ward office this morning, and spend money to register myself.

I head back to the same Softbank store that promised to bump me to the front of the line to get the Wi-Fi connector.  I am.  The registration process begins.  I hand over my passport and Alien Registration and everything is going well.  I'm told I will get the unit for free.  I'm pleased with myself for some reason.  I feel just the slightest bit successful, as if I've just successfully negotiated some huge deal.  That they do this for everyone who signs a contract isn't the point, of course.  Then it comes.  My Alien Registration card says I'm only in the country for 90 days so I now have to pay for the little, magic machine that will give me access. 

"Why?"
She's uncomfortable.  Am I going to make a scene?  She stops what she's doing and gives me what I can only describe is a lame explanation.
"Fine.  Do it."  I try not to snap.

Then she throws me a zinger.  They won't sell me the unit because I need to be in the country longer than 90 days in order to have a contract.  I'm floored.  Why did she even start the process if Softbank policy doesn't allow them to sell me anything?  I make her repeat it.  I'm pissed.  She brings out the sheet that spells out their evil policy.  I can't read the fine print so I stretch my arm out as far as it will go and repeat back to her what I heard her say.

"So, I can't buy this because I'm going to be in the country less than 90 days even though you told me yesterday if I came with my registration card I could get this?"
She apologizes.  I can't win.  I leave.

To say I'm angry is putting it mildly.  This policy stems from the fact there's a history, albeit it not long or extensive, of foreigners buying pre-paid phones and policies and then using said phones for criminal activity.  Surely, if some foreigners are criminals it's safer to assume many, nay most could also be as well.  Right?  Let's just create a policy that confirms phones and policies are sold to legitimate foreigners committed to a long-term stay. 

I make a point of walking down the up stair case at every train station the rest of the day.  It's a pathetic and private rebellion but it's the least I can do to uphold the image of foreigners behaving badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment