Thursday, September 15, 2011

A new kind of honesty

At the risk of making a controversial statement bordering on a gross generalization, I believe this strongly:  Japan has always allowed for a delicate dance around truth-telling.  I say this without judgment.  It is what it is.  I'm in no position to critique such a broad cultural phenomenon.


Multiple television commercials I've seen since arriving in Japan a week ago have given me pause and make me reconsider whether Japan is entering a new stage in truth-telling.  One such commercial was from a construction company.

"At xxxx, we destroy nature."  Whoa.  That caught my attention.  "Because we destroy nature to build our homes, we do everything we can to give back to nature by planting trees."  They go onto to highlight the projects the company is involved as they attempt to offset their environmental destruction.

I find myself impressed.  I'm not accustomed to this level of honesty in Japan, much less on television.  Then there is the open and  frank mention of menopause.  The product advertised is specifically for menopausal women.  All women go through menopause.  Nothing shocking there.  Today's Japan, evidently sees no shame in offering products to these women, even though in my life in Japan to date I have never heard of menopause ever being discussed openly.  I'm both surprised and pleased by Japan's ability to showcase this publicly. I see this as a new attempt at telling the truth.

Then I see it:  "Who lied?"  A magazine advertisement on a train blatantly implies a cover-up about the nuclear disaster in Fukushima.  The assumption is not insinuated as much as it is stated.  Someone lied.  Many people lied.  The question is who?  Who will reveal the truth?  What will be done about those who lied?

What I take away from all this is a new appreciation for the truth and a lesser tolerance for lying.  In today's Japan, it is okay to talk about things previously not discussed.  It's okay to be honest.  It's also okay to call out those who tell lies with consequences that are no longer acceptable.

This should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment