Friday, March 30, 2012

Working Mothers: Part 2

"My husband said, 'You've changed,'" and she looks at me for a response.
"Have you?" I put the question back to her.
"Yes, I have," and we both ponder this for a few moments.

I just did the math last night.  A year ago today I arrived in Tokyo to come up north, an area completely devastated by the tsunami, to begin what has ended up being a life-changing experience.  So, yes.  I've changed, too.

The woman telling me she's changed is also a working mother.  She volunteers from 9-5, then goes home to "Do laundry, make dinner, clean the house.  You know.  Wifely things."  What comes to mind immediately is her energy level.  Physical stamina is a must for all women who work outside the home, and then come home to continue Part 2 of their day.  Mental and emotional energy is also a prerequisite.  Add to this the fact the women I'm meeting live with daily reminders of how their lives were turned upside down over a year ago, I marvel at how they find the energy.

My mother used to tell me to "not spend energy on that" when I would complain about the latest injustice I faced, or the unfairness of someone's words or actions.  I much preferred to complain.  Energy?  I have plenty of that.  Right?

Wrong.  Mothers are more often than not right.  I am now keenly aware of the fact my energy level is definitely finite.  I often tap my reserves.  Knowing this is not a good thing, I have yet to figure out how to work with the energy I do have.

Working mothers in Tohoku face an entirely different set of issues than the rest of us.  My respect increases with every visit.  The more women I meet, the more I am aware of their collective strength.  To say they can handle anything is not fair.  It is, however, I believe a fair statement to make that women here cave less frequently than others I've met.  I want to learn from these Tohoku women.  How do I harness their energy?  Is there a secret?  There must be.  If so, what is it?  Do I dare just come right out and ask, "How do you keep going?" 

With each visit I have more questions than answers.  Sometimes this is daunting.  At times, it's invigorating.  On this visit, I resolve to learn more about working mothers.  They have a secret, the answers to my questions; I know it.  I'm determined to find out what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment