Thursday, May 3, 2012

Energy: Individual vs. Collective, Positive vs. Negative

There's a store I got to in Salem, Massachusetts whenever I'm in the mood for a new scent.  There's nothing quite like walking into Aroma Sanctum (http://www.aromasanctum.com/), and saying to the owner Akuura, "I want...." and then describe how I want to smell.  I simply love having my own custom blend.  That she's delightful only adds to the experience.

Someone once said Salem, Massachusetts has a vortex of energy.  That witches have lived there for years, en masse, is part of what creates this source of energy.  (And, can we please not spend time here discussing the virtues or evils of witches.  That's not my point today.)  It evidently has the highest concentration of witches living in one city--at least in the United States.

This vortex of energy, then.  Surely there is something to the power of collective energy.  We talk of "the power in numbers."  Christians say about God "when two or more gather, I am there."  Simply put, the more people who gather together and utilize their energy for good, the more power there is in that energy.  Right?

I have been keenly aware of late, just how finite my own individual energy levels are.  My mother used to say, "Don't waste energy on that" whenever I would rail against the latest injustice I experienced.  Thinking I have extra reserves of energy I could always tap into, her comments annoyed me.  Of course I had energy to expend on my woes.  I have all the energy in the world!

She was right, of course.  I don't.  The amount of energy I have at any given moment is most definitely limited.  There is no secret stash of "extra energy" I can access whenever I want or need.  Living in Japan away from family, I feel this even stronger.  I am not Wonder Woman.

The Japanese would call Salem, Massachusetts a "Power Spot."  I am exposed to these magical, energy-rich places on Japanese television and in print.  There's a fascination the Japanese have with these sacred spots where something is different, and something is special. 

What then is the opposite of a "Power Spot"?  If these places are blessed with some source of positive energy, what do we call places where there seems to be an energy vacuum?  How do we refer to those locations where the energy is not blessed with beauty?

Fukushima is one such location for me.  In Fukushima, I experience the exact opposite of a "positive source of energy."  There's nothing scientific or fact-based about what I'm saying.  That I go to Fukushima and find it "off" and get "bad vibes" is purely my personal experience.  Then again, I have heard others say something similar.  What's going on?  I can't put my finger on what it is about Fukushima that leaves me drained, exhausted, and sucked dry.  I don't want to feel this way, but I do.  Is there something about Fukushima that oozes negativity, or am I hitting Fukushima when I happen to be exhausted? 

This concept of energy--how much I have at any given moment, whether I should find others who can add to it (and if so where), and what to do about a geographic location I sense is lacking in the positive--this is what I've spent the past 24 hours thinking about.  Never one for keeping life simple, I am using energy on questions with no easy answers, except this time I have people around me whom I can tap.  Collective energy at its best.


No comments:

Post a Comment