Monday, October 8, 2012

A Quick Note to American Voters

My Facebook friends are and have been fighting over who is better suited to be US President.  For months.  Nasty words are posted.  Tea Partiers think Liberals are evil terrorists, ungodly, and love to kill babies.  Liberals think Tea Partiers are ignorant, narrow-minded, gun-loving people who stand around at funerals holding signs condemning gays and lesbians to hell.  I might be exaggerating.  Then again, you haven't seen my Facebook page.

I have a simple point to make.  Japan is discussing the pros (not as much the cons) about changing prime ministers.  Again.  If this happens, Japan will have had eighteen prime ministers in 24 years.  Read that line again.  This is reality in Japan.

Here's the kicker.  The public doesn't get to vote.  Read that line again, too.  None of the regular voters go to the poll to cast their ballot for prime minister.

I was asked over the weekend for my thoughts on Japanese politics.  I decided to be honest.  "If Great Britain had seventeen prime ministers in 24 years, would Japan take the British Government seriously?  Wouldn't the press mock them each time they brought in a new person?  What do you think people overseas think of Japan when you can't seem to keep a person in office for more than a year?"  We didn't end up having much of a discussion.  I don't think they were too happy with my statement.

So, to all my American friends, if you don't vote in November I don't want to hear any crap about who gets into office.  At least we have the option.  Take it.  Use it.  Try living in Japan where everyone I speak to is embarrassed about the revolving door of politicians who seem to, at the end of the day, get very little done.   And, while we're at it, let's please cut the nastiness, the mocking, the accusations, and the making fun of what the wives are wearing.


No comments:

Post a Comment